Monday, August 01, 2016

Abby Baby

Damn I'm old. I can't believe it has been this long since I have had any inspiration to write or update this blog. Sometimes inspiration comes when you least expect it and sometimes that inspiration can change you in ways you never, ever anticipated.

This lady here is my inspiration. She entered my life at a time when love was the last thing on my mind and things seemed to be spiraling out of control. I was at a personal crossroads in my life, where I was doubting everything from my current career path to where I wanted to live and the kind of person I wanted to be.

God works in mysterious ways because when I needed an angel, He not only sent one, but He made sure it was in the form of a gorgeous human being who could help salvage my sanity and help me find myself once again. She not only held my hand and supported me in my struggles, she also boosted me up so I would have the strength to power through some of my hardest challenges.

Abby is more than a girlfriend, she has become my best friend, my therapist, my life coach and my personal advisor. Not a day goes by that I don't thank God for His gift. She has benefited my life in ways I'm not sure she will ever really know.

One fateful night I was trapped at work and the night seemed to be crawling along with no end in sight. I found myself mingling with coworkers and this petite little thing that had a smile that could light up a dark control room. I was intrigued by her spirit, her adventurous and infectious personality and all of her quirky nuances.

She regaled me with stories of epic vacations in Las Vegas and California, with twists and turns so mind-boggling I found myself doubting her honesty only to realize that she couldn't possibly make these things up. I found myself memorized by her tales that the time flew by and a night that seemed endless suddenly became fleeting.

I knew I wanted to get to know more about this girl, so I did the only reasonable thing I could think of... I asked her to go with me to a comic book store. I examined her closely as she laughed and smiled. I studied her as she thumbed through graphic novels on the shelves and I fixated on her as she walked down the aisles.

I flirted in the parking lot but my game was so weak she didn't pick up on a thing. She brushed me off as an uninterested guy who didn't know what he wanted. Little did she know I knew what I wanted and my ass had a plan.

From a night at Santa's Enchanted Forest to a day at the zoo, I found myself engrossed in all of her. I knew I wanted to trick her into dating me, and hopefully handcuff her into loving me. The plan worked because we are not only in love, we are committed to a future together.

I've had a few relationships in my life and each one has taught me lessons. I've found that love isn't easily defined and true love is even harder to attain. I'm thankful for these experiences because it has allowed me to see what I have and how valuable it truly is. I find myself truly honored to have such joy in my life, in the form of this beautiful little lady, who teases me for my body hair and OCD.

I hope she knows how much she is loved and cherished. If she doesn't, I pray that I can learn to show her each day in my every action.

I love you baby.

No comments: