Thursday, January 25, 2007

A Day in the Life of...

My cell phone begins to chime at 8 am. I roll over my girlfriend to silence it as quickly as possible; after all, she doesn't have to wake up this early... only I do. I silence it and shut my eyes once more; it goes off again in 5 minutes. I eventually get up, dress, brush my teeth and grab my belongings. I kiss my love goodbye and take a second to watch her in all of her morning beauty... but unfortunately I cannot linger for long.

Breakfast? I doubt it, maybe some dry cereal to go or an apple. I convince myself that I will simply grab something to eat once I get to the office... I can be fairly convincing to myself.

I leave the apartment and walk down the hallway, smelling the fresh cooked breakfast from the neighbors and double checking the fact that I have everything I need for the day. Car keys, house keys, miscellaneous keys, Excedrin migraine tablets, Tag body spray and Chap Stick in one pocket - wallet, keychain with a photo from 2006 homecoming, cell phone and pocket knife in the other. Laptop bag on my shoulder filled to capacity with files, folders, computer accessories, and miscellaneous items. Its weight slowly increases each passing day. I'm good, I got everything.

Take the elevator from the 6th floor to the first, walk to my car while greeting each passer-by as I go. Perhaps I hold the door for a woman with her arms full of grocery bags or for an older gentleman with his two Scottish terrier’s in toe behind him without leashes. I try to avoid the white cat that follows every tenant to their car with a sorrowful 'meow' and a puzzled look on its face and focus on my swift pace. Place the laptop bag in the backseat once I reach my car, get in, place my faceplate on the front surface of my radio and start the engine. Turn on the radio; let the car warm up for 10 or so seconds, take a deep breath and I'm rolling.

I roll onto Biscayne Blvd. and head south. It's 8:30 am. I'm on 140th street. It's a straight shot all the way down, well... I take a few short-cuts, although nothing is short or very cutting of this endless traffic. I bob, I weave and I swerve through the cars attempting to gain some kind of ground all the while glancing at the digital display on my cell phone constantly reminding me that I am running late. Eventually I reach the point on Biscayne where the construction starts and everyone is compressed into one lane. I cut over to a side road that runs fairly parallel. Unfortunately, I am not the only one that thought of it. More traffic.

I cut up, I cut down and eventually I find my way onto 195. I’m heading over the water to the beach, South Beach. The instant I hit open road on 195 my engine swiftly reaches at least 80 as I ever so poetically navigate my way through the slower vehicles. I reach Alton, I go south, again. I try very hard to restrain myself from speeding because the police around here love speeders. Yet, I push them, as I slowly accelerate from lane to lane watching diligently for the well-hidden officers.

I reach my parking garage, which seems 10 blocks from my office, and I find my usual parking spot on the 4th floor. Grab my laptop bag, remove the faceplate and turn off my car. I press my 'lock' button twice as my car beeps twice behind me and I proceed to the elevator. Down I go as I check my appearance in the reflective elevator door.

I walk down Lincoln road dodging all minor obstacles. Tables, dogs, people... they all seem to have nowhere to go and no deadline to get there. I, on the other hand, am late. The laptop bag grows heavier in my hand and the road seems to stretch underneath my feet. Eventually I reach the 420 building.

I walk past security, past the artistic paintings that wrap around the upper moldings of the buildings and press the elevator button. I use to admire the beautiful artwork, now I couldn't care less about it... I'm running late. I enter the elevator and press the square next to 3. The button illuminates from beneath my finger and as I step back, I am surrounded by the elevators interior mirrors. I take a second to look at my reflection and consider, for a brief moment, my future. How many more times will I step inside this elevator?

I reach the 3rd floor and proceed down the hallway. It gets colder with each step. I open the office door and smile at anyone who happens to look up. I go into my room and turn on my computer. The laptop bag is placed on a printer box I converted into a table. I unpack my documents, my laptop and turn on the radio I stole from a supply box. The computers boot up as I put on my jacket. The radio's built in thermometer tells me its 59 degrees. It's always freezing. It's 9:45 am.

I have three computers on my desk, including my personal laptop... and I use each one everyday. As I sink into my chair I think about the 10 hour day ahead of me. I am a publisher. I publish web pages for AOL. I write copy for promotional purposes, edit photos and spend many hours maintaining and developing the layouts for show pages such as "Welcome Back Kotter." This is my life, for now.

I leave at 7:30 pm, sometimes later, seldom earlier. As I leave my office, and my building, under the moonlight I walk back to my car. I am not moving half as fast this time, and I let the weight of my laptop pull my shoulder closer to the ground. I have a beautiful girlfriend to get home to, dinner to buy and sleep to catch. Not to mention I have class tomorrow.

Do I miss the lazy life? Do I miss out on my youth? Yes to both. But youth fades and responsibility grows. I live for tomorrow, and try to make sense of today. I have worked since I was 15, from summer jobs to part time after classes. I am 23.

I am a student, a full time employee and dedicated boyfriend. Sometimes I squeeze a little time for myself in there as well.

Sacrifice only builds a greater understanding of devotion. I labor now, so I can build a prosperous future. Someday I hope to reap the fruits of this labor, and reap the benefits of a life well lived, and time well served on this earth.

For now, if you see me on the street or on the road, know I have a destination; not only in that moment, but in life. For my treasures lie in a higher place; and my path leads to a greater place. You may wave or honk if you want.

1 comment:

Dre876 said...

Dats how it goes homie, with great power, comes great responsibility. Age is that power, the responsibility the comes with it is just an unfortunate side effect. But always remember you gotta take the time to enjoy the now, don't allow the stresses of life to take you away from whats important, yourself, take the time to enjoy each moment with your girl, ur fam and friends.