Monday, July 24, 2006

Resignation

A letter I personally submitted today to Florida International University...


To the administration of the FIU, fellow students and staff…

I, Brandon A. Campbell, am resigning from both my positions of employment within the WUC (Wolfe University Center), at the Biscayne Bay Campus. I am terminating my employment with the Production department as well as with the WUC Computer lab, effective immediately, but will carry out my remaining shifts for this week.

I am resigning for numerous reasons, some of which being personal, some of which are academic, but the most important and severe reason lies with the treatment and handling of student staff at the WUC.

The deterioration of the environment for student staff here at the WUC has steadily, and as of late, come to an all-time low. I feel, and am not alone, that this university has lost sight of what it should mean to be a “university.” Of course, this epidemic may only apply to the WUC.

This campus (BBC) has not made many attempts in my four years of attendance to increase or cater to student life. Game rooms and student areas are absent, and thus this campus has lost all appeal to many students. It has not always been this way. The current administration has created a business at the WUC, neglecting students.

The student staff has suffered over the years due to this steady decline and growing disrespect towards student staff and duties. I have seen such atrocities as good student employees being terminated after only one minor offense (although that may be the incorrect word), while other student employees are given numerous chances to “redeem” themselves after countless mistakes. E-mails have been written comparing student staff to “Burger King Employees,” and supervisors have been given jurisdiction above departments they have no knowledge of running. Not to mention, that in the last few months numerous false and haphazard accusations from WUC administrators have been raining down on student staff, accusing them of all sorts of “disrespectful acts.”

I and a handful of past employees have much to put on record as borderline corruption at the WUC. In this mismanagement of student staff, I am resigning… but hopefully I can raise some awareness before I go of this state of decay worsens.

To the administrators of the WUC: Your student staff is unhappy. The majority of current and most of past employees have a bad taste in their mouth from this experience. I am the voice of many whom may not speak for fear of retaliation. Things need to change.

To Miss Jones and President Maidique: Please attend to these matters for the sake of the Biscayne Bay Campus. It is critical for a healthy student populous.

I thank you all for your time and consideration on this matter,

Sincerely,

Brandon A. Campbell

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow i'm so proud of you for speaking out against what has been going on in the WUC. I totally agree with you and am glad that people are at least aware of the things that are going on. Keep up the good work leprechaun...lol...!